[hobbit] INTERVAL in clientlaunch.cfg

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 19 07:21:33 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:33:15PM -0600, Jeff Newman wrote:

> Question about the INTERVAL setting in clientlaunch.cfg:
>
> Per the man page (for hobbitlaunch.cfg)
>
> The *INTERVAL* keyword defines how often this command is executed. {...}
> Intervals can be specified in seconds (if you just put a number there), or
> in minutes (5m), hours (2h), or days (1d).
>
> So I was trying to get netstat -s working every second.
>
> [hiflow_net]
>         ENVFILE /usr/local/hobbit/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg
>         CMD /usr/local/hobbit/client/ext/hiflow_net
>         LOGFILE=/tmp/hilog
>         INTERVAL 1

hobbitlaunch has a built-in safety catch, so you cannot run a
task more often than once every 5-10 seconds. That's to prevent
it from fork-bombing your system.

If you really need that, use a wrapper around your script:

   #!/bin/sh

   while 1
   do
       /usr/local/hobbit/client/ext/hiflow_net
       sleep 1
   done

and run the wrapper-script from hobbitlaunch (without any
INTERVAL setting since it keeps running).