Tips to get custom availability metrics?

Maschino, Shawn (GE Indust, Plastics) Shawn.Maschino at ge.com
Tue Feb 21 16:37:51 CET 2006

            Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light (or
share some code!) on processing the Hobbit data files to generate custom
availability reports for servers/test pairs in Hobbit.  I'm sure there
is a way to do it, I'm just not smart enough to figure it out :-)

            To better describe my situation - I have all my servers in
Hobbit, and then a database that has server details - like site,
criticality, ...  and I'm looking to be able to run reports like - "what
was my conn test uptime for anything at site XYZ", or "what was my http
uptime for our business critical apps".

I can easily query the database and load the server list into an array
as the source list to process, but when it comes to knowing how to
process the Hobbit data files to get the % uptime for that list of
servers I am lost.  I suppose in a perfect solution I'd be looking to be
able to populate and array with the list of hostnames, pass that and the
test name that I'm looking for to a routine, and get back a single
number as the % uptime for that list of hosts for that test.

            Any pointers would be appreciated!

Shawn Maschino
GE Plastics
(413)448-6375