MRTG for Switches - OK why?

Costa, Todd (DMH) Todd.Costa at state.ma.us
Thu Feb 16 21:06:13 CET 2006

Hello again,

	After I sent the email below. I figured I would continue my reading
and also go back to how I used BB to see if I could put the pieces together
in Hobbit 4.1.2p1. I currently use Debian (Sarge) 3.1 as my platform of
choice and needed to add another lib to get things moving. Eventually, I
figured out that I needed to use cfgmaker with the appropriate options and
switches. Good so far.

	I had removed my previous host names from bb-hosts and dropped the
names with the bb command. Waited and cleaned up any residual left of those
names in the Hobbit file structure. I commented out the mrtg in
hobbitlaunch.cfg before I did the previous steps and finished reading up on
cfgmaker. OK, so I decided on what I wanted in cfgmaker and went with the
naming convention Henrik provided in his docs. I ran cfgmaker though a
script and generated the mrtg.cfg file. Went throught it and mod'd it some
more to my liking. Cool so far was what I was thinking.

	Now I am ready to put the ip and hostname back in bbhosts and to
wait a few minutes later for the basic columns to appear. I quickly went
through the hobbit logs and notice a couple of things like creating
directories, yada yada..., then I noticed in the trend column the MRTG
graphs were showing up. OK stop I thought.

I didn't uncomment the mrtg in hobbitlaunch.cfg. What gives?

So now I am confused. Why is this happening and what would be the purpose of
enabling it in hobbitlaunch if hobbit already does it automatically. I am
guessing the RRDtool is automatically picking up that I want stats from
mrtg.cfg I just created.

I think this is what I meant when hobbit makes thing alot easier. So does
anyone understand what I am describing?

Any discussion on this would help me understand what I am seeing. Thanks in
advance

TMC