[hobbit] Logfile monitoring - I'd like some comments

Rob Munsch rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com
Wed Feb 15 23:22:10 CET 2006

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

>the amount of log data that Hobbit needs to process. So you can setup a
>regexp of stuff in the logfile that you *never* want to see, and a
>regexp of stuff that you *always* want to report - regardless of how
>much the log grows.

Well, that covers my comment.  I'd much rather give a list of "this
stuff is always Good" than try to cover every instance of Bad, so that's
awesome.

It would be ideal if the central config was somewhat bb-hosts-ish, and
could accept (in addition to aforementioned includes) host-specific
directives for what to log.  I am assuming that how to react will
already be host-specific like every other test, yes?

As far as the logs rotating out... couldn't hobbit look for an
environment variable for the format of the rotated logs...?  The
filenames vary host to host, but on a given host, a quick look at
/var/log tells you what to expect, right?

Lastly - being someone who couldn't program his way out of a paper
stack, i will now cheekily suggest that on install, hobbit could look at
/var/log and guesstimate the format, and ask for human confirmation (as
it already does for the hobbit user and homedir).

Even if this automated | dream doesn't happen, could it still be set
manually or via config?

--
Rob Munsch
Solutions For Progress IT