[hobbit] Configuration database backend.

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Dec 8 21:50:26 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 04:52:02PM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:

> On my todo-list:
> - web based driven configuration
> - external collection of status messages and trending
> - mis use of hobbit and data channels for communication
>     -> can this be protected with ssl or something else ?

Not as it is now. If you need that, I'd suggest installing something
like OpenVPN and feed the communications through that - it's simple,
easy to setup, and a reasonably efficient communications path.

> My major problem is that I can not program in C.  I know perl fairly well.

Why would that be a problem ? What you're planning to do can be done
without touching any of the Hobbit code, you'll just be interfacing to
the public interfaces (config files, hobbitd channels, the network
interface on port 1984) and Hobbit doesn't care how you do that -
whether it's from a Perl program, or a C program.

Of course, doing it in Perl means I cannot help you develop or maintain
the code, since my abilities in Perl are probably even worse than your
knowledge of C.