[hobbit] vmstat/cpu graphs for OS X

Scheblein, Adam adam.scheblein at marquette.edu
Fri Aug 25 16:05:28 CEST 2006

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:53:18AM -0500, Scheblein, Adam wrote:
> > OK, so I put in the extra code and everything compiled without any
> issue, I
> > recompiled both the server and the client with the new code and now
> vmstat
> > data is being transmitted and the server is trying to graph the data,
> > however, it keeps giving me a blank graph and displays nan for the
> values of
> > the datapoints on the graph.  Am I missing something??
>
> Maybe, or I missed something when I wrote up that cookbook for you.
> You did restart Hobbit after installing the new hobbitd_rrd and
> hobbitd_client modules, I suppose?

Yes, I did restart everything multiple times

> It would probably help to get some debugging output from the
> hobbitd_rrd module. Do a "kill -USR2 <hobbitd_rrd PID>" and it will
> start logging debugging output to the logfile. The next time your
> Mac OS X client sends it's data, you should hopefully get some
> info about what it tries to do. Repeat the kill-command to turn off
> debugging.

I have run that now, The strange thing is that I have 2 hobbitd_rrd
processes...  I have run the kill -USR2 on both of the PID's  I will post
the data once I get it

> (If you don't get anything in the hobbitd_rrd logfile, it's because the
> client module doesnt send anything. So it fails to pickup the fact that
> Mac OS X does have vmstat data now).
>
> > Will it not graph if the values do not add up exactly to 100%??
>
> It will, it doesn't know anything about these numbers adding up to 100.

Great (I had to do some fuzzy math where it won't always add up to 100%
because rather than rounding I had to just drop the decimal (for now)

Thanks,

Adam