[hobbit] Where are all the reports going?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Aug 22 16:52:32 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 03:14:58PM +0100, Jones, Jason (Altrincham) wrote:

> I have an interesting problem, on of our servers running our own
> script(not really important for the problem) stopped working properly (a
> false positive due to the script) I went on the box and stopped hobbit
> replaced the script with one that does work (it is running on one of our
> other servers) then started hobbit (/usr/local/hobbit/client/runclient
> --hostname=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx start) when I ran the status after this it
> said it was not running so I ran ps and found the processes were there,
> so I killed them off and tried again, same result so I killed them off
> changed the hostname to the fully qualified domain name and started
> hobbit, success-ish the status reports it is running

Note that you'll need the --hostname option even for a "status" check
since the hostname is used for the status files.

> no ghost reports on the server, the only problem is all the tests from that
> script are coming back purple, yet I haven't changed clientlaunch etc.

Check that the script you copied from another server uses the correct
IP when sending in status messages to the Hobbit server. Or perhaps it
has a different PATH setting built-in, so it cannot find the "bb"
command ...  The client logfile should have some more info.

If all else fails, a simple

   date >>/tmp/myscript.log

added near the beginning of the log will at least tell you if the script
runs at all.