[hobbit] Gnokii and Hobbit

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Aug 20 10:30:54 CEST 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 07:34:58AM +0200, Michael Magua wrote:

> In hobbit-alerts.cfg I have:
>
> HOST=mail
>     MAIL admin at domain.com REPEAT=20 SERVICE=smtp
> #SCRIPT /usr/local/bin/smsalert FORMAT=SMS
> #SCRIPT echo "$BBALPHAMSG" | gnokii --sendsms <cell number> FORMAT=SMS
>
> Both of those script calls are commented out as I was trying various
> things. Here is my /usr/local/bin/smsalert:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "$BBALPHAMSG" | gnokii --sendsms <cell number>

Your SCRIPT command is partially wrong; the "recipient" parameter is
missing. This is typically the phone-number for the SMS recipient.
If you don't want to use it, just put some dummy value there. This
parameter is passed to the script as $RCPT.

I tested it myself, and found two possible problems:

1) Make sure the "hobbit" user can access the serial port. In my
   setup, the user must be in the "dialout" group to access the
   /dev/ttyS0 file (the serial port device); check the file
   permissions on your serial device.

2) gnokii complains if the message test is more than 160 characters.
   Change your script command to
      echo "${BBALPHAMSG:0:160}" | gnokii --sendsms "$RCPT"

If you still have problems, the ~hobbit/server/logs/page.log has the
output from the script commands, so you should check that for
errors.