[hobbit] oversized [ports] section && 'stopped reporting'

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Aug 6 13:59:02 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:54:04AM -0400, Jerry Yu wrote:
> one of our servers have  up to 6000 TIME_WAIT tcp connections from time to
> time. This got truncated, of course.  I want to see them all. any quick way
> to change the upper limit w/o recompilation ?

Set the MAXMSG_CLIENT setting in hobbitserver.cfg and restart Hobbit.
The default is 512 (KB) for the maximum size of a client message.

If you want them all to show up on the status display, you probably also
have to increase the MAXMSG_STATUS setting.

The hobbitserver.cfg man-page describes these.

> Also, for the same server, from time to time, certain checks 'stopped
> reporting' [ files & msgs, in particular ] for some extended period,
> sometimes over 35m, while other checks kept going. I wonder if the message
> truncation triggered by the over-sized [ports] section caused this loss.

It could very well be due to this. The [files] and [msgs] sections of
the client message appear after the network ports listing, so if the
message was truncated these could be lost.