[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may Ilose from migrating?

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 08:32:11 CEST 2006

On 8/2/06, J Sloan <joe at tmsusa.com> wrote:

> We could, given enough time and effort, implement something that would do what
> we need, but management tends to be very conservative about change, and very
> reluctant to allow us to spend time on anything not related to the current
> projects. It's the power of inertia, and the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix
> it" mentality. IOW, the bb/bbgen-3.6 combo is "good enough" to keep running.

I have a similar kind of management.  I came across Hobbit around
Christmas and have been running it in parallel to Big Brother since
then.  The problem of how to switch over was solved for me back in May
when the power supply in my Big Brother server blew out.  I swear it
was nothing I did... :)  The machine is old and probably off
maintenance, so I figured it would be faster to load a backup copy of
my checkout scripts onto the Hobbit server and run with that.

Everybody I've spoken with about it either doesn't care or prefers
Hobbit.  The lone exception being one person who would prefer to just
click on a recycle icon to flip between the main page and the summary,
instead of using the drop-down menu...

Ralph Mitchell