[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may I lose from migrating?

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at dpi.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 2 03:30:47 CEST 2006

You will lose nothing.
I did exactly that.
We had a third party monitoring our systems with BB when I joined my
previous company.
I changed the BB scripts to send to my Hobbit server as well as their BB
server. (Duplicated the bb command line with the IP address of my Hobbit
server instead of $BBDISPLAY)
This meant the third party had a BB server running, and I had a Hobbit
server, and they weren't even aware that the Hobbit server existed.
(Yes, both were running in parallel, giving the same results)

When I had suffiently impressed my PHB that Hobbit is better than BB,
because it could do more, we told the third party where to get off, and
all monitoring was done internally.
(OK, there was far more politics involved in dumping the third party
than just Hobbit/BB, but it helped having the ability to monitor our own
systems as well, if not better than they were.)
I then moved all our systems to the Hobbit client as and when I had
time.

Now stop with the questions. Just do it. You will never look back. :-)

Cheers
    Vernon