[hobbit] fping tuning

Schwimmer, Eric E *HS EES2Y at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Apr 27 15:54:26 CEST 2006

> Hi Eric
>
> this won't help you much, but I'm monitoring 1733 hosts with
> Hobbit, on a dual Xeon 3.2 GHz with 4 Gb running an up-to-date
> Gentoo Linux.  Hobbit takes between 15 and 30 seconds to ping
> 1632 hosts;  sudo is used to run fping :
>

> TIME SPENT
> Event                                            Starttime
>       Duration
> PING test completed (1632 hosts)         1146122348.804056
>      19.808170
>

> Running fping by hand gives this :
>

> # fping -i5 -b12 -f /tmp/ips.txt -r1 -t250 -B2 -q -s
> [...]
> 30.999 sec (elapsed real time)
>

> Lowering the -i, -r, -t values doesn't give anything...
>
> The funny thing is that Hobbit runs sudo with -Ae, which is
> way slower
> when I run it by hand...

Weird.  Using the -Ae flag doesn't make a difference in time for me,
nor does using sudo (this is testing it by hand, not from within
hobbit).  Still, it seems like you are doing better than we are.
I wonder if this is a Fedora-specific peculiararity?  I'll try
installing fping on my wimpy Arch Linux desktop box and seeing
if I can glean anything conclusive (although the difference
in hardware is going to make this difficult).

Thanks for sharing!
-Eric