[hobbit] Channel processing problem with 4.11

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at acs-inc.com
Fri Sep 30 17:47:39 CEST 2005

Banging on it and no core dumps (yet). The hobbitd client channel process
appears to resurrect off the parent channel process for the signal 6 faults
(SIGABRT). Probably be able to get a core dump faster if re-disable the
signals and pound the channel some more.

I have narrowed down the fault in the client message to the first line in
the df output (how strange). Below is the client side code where only
reporting the initial client line and then the [df] block header and the df
output. If the HPUX df header line is removed before sending out message, no
error on channel.

Using the hobbit bb binary for client side transmission. For the tests
below, restored back the original hobbitd_channel binary with the standard
signal handlers.  Playing around with the content of the df header line to
try and figure out what is so special about it. Very confusing, guess will
dump.

!/bin/sh
#
-#
# HP-UX client for Hobbit
#
#
#
# Copyright (C) 2005 Henrik Storner <henrik at hswn.dk>
#
#
#
# This program is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL),
#
# version 2. See the file "COPYING" for details.
#
#
#
-#
#
# $Id: hobbitclient-hpux.sh,v 1.4 2005/07/24 11:32:51 henrik Exp $

MACHINE=`/usr/bin/hostname`
# no good - uname reports HP-UX, hobbit code uses hpux, need to ditch the
minus sign
#BBOSTYPE="`/usr/bin/uname -s | /usr/bin/tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]'`"
BBOSTYPE="hpux"

{
echo "client $MACHINE.$BBOSTYPE"
##echo "[date]"
##/usr/bin/date

echo "[df]"
# the default does not work - header and metrics
#/usr/bin/df -Pk
# the next line works - report filesystem metrics without a header line
#/usr/bin/df -Pk | sed -ne '2,$p'
# the next line causes error on channel - just printing header line
/usr/bin/df -Pk | sed -ne '1p'

##echo "[memory]"
##echo "Total:`./bb-hp-memsz -p`"
##echo "Free:`./bb-hp-memsz -f`"

} |  ./bb --debug aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd "@"

exit

The message body that results in a channel error is (grabbing snapshot on
client - the server client/tmp/msg.txt keeps catching the content of the
server's local check):

client csdaj401.hpux
[df]
Filesystem          1024-blocks  Used  Available Capacity Mounted on