[hobbit] http test on switches - fail

Henrik Storner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Sep 28 12:40:26 CEST 2005

In <430CF687.80500 at corniceco.com> Chuck Morrison <cmorrison at corniceco.com> writes:

>I've set up hobbit (4.1.1) to check for http, conn and ssh on some
>switches, but the results have been mixed. All the switches have web
>interfaces and I can get to each of them via any browser.

It would be interesting to know exactly what goes on in the communication
between Hobbit and the switch. Any chance that you could run tcpdump
and capture the traffic between Hobbit and one of these switches ?
(Please make sure to get the full data packet - e.g. with tcpdump you'll
need to use "-s 1514" to pick up the entire data packet and not just the
headers).

>Is there a way to flag this http test so it doesn't go red if it doesn't
>receive anything but a connection time ? Or am I misunderstanding how
>this works ?

You could define a custom tcp test that just checks if the port is open.
Eg put this in the ~hobbit/server/etc/bb-services file:

  [web]
      port 80
      send "GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n"
      options banner

Then instead of the "http://...." in bb-hosts, just put the word "web".
That will make Hobbit connect to the port, send a plain HTTP 1.0 request,
and if any response comes back it will show up on the status page -
but it doesn't require any.