[hobbit] Getting hobbit running on FreeBSD

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Sep 1 07:40:28 CEST 2005

Hi Brian,

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 03:05:04PM +1000, Scott, Brian wrote:
> I've just had a try at installing hobbit on various versions (5.3, 5.4)
> of FreeBSD. I was getting segvs whenever hobbitd started. After a little
> work with gdb I found that allocating some buffers was based on
> hostcount when hostcount was zero. I presume that on some other
> platforms a zero sized malloc returns some useful amount of memory but
> not on FreeBSD (it claims to return some storage rather than NULL
> depending on /etc/malloc.conf but apparently not enough).

Thanks! Doing a "malloc(0)" is apparently undefined behaviour, so it
should be avoided, and your solution is a reasonable way of doing that.

Someone else reported problems with Hobbit on OpenBSD - it could be that
this is the same problem.

> BTW: I also had to change the group of most of the installation to my
> web server group after installation.

That should not be needed - the only directories that need to be
writable by the web server group are the "www/rep" and "www/snap"
directories used when generating reports. What problems did you have
that necessitated this ?