[hobbit] delay creation of web pages

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Oct 31 19:04:06 CET 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:15:07PM +0100, bb4 at richter-it.net wrote:

> is it possible to delay the creation of the web pages in hobbit for a few minutes?

No. Some of the web pages are generated dynamically, e.g. all of the
detailed status pages that use the /cgi-bin/hobbitsvc.cgi CGI tool.

> The problem is that our customer is looking at the hobbit screen too and our suits
> are not very amused that he calls us instead of us calling him in case of an error.
>
> So management wants to delay the creation of the status pages in hobbit for a few
> minutes on the machine where the customer is looking at and on our internal machine
> everything should go the "old-fashioned" way.

Start charging him extra when he calls you :-)

Seriously, the only way you can do that is to run two Hobbit servers;
one for your internal use, and another for your customers. You can use
bbproxy to receive all of the status messages and forward them to your
two real Hobbit servers, and then on the customer server you can setup
some "badhttp", "badsmtp" etc. tags to delay a red status from showing
up until it has been down for some time; that should give you the
effect you want.