[hobbit] Ext script help needed.

FIGARO Nicolas nfigaro at effigie.fr
Fri Oct 21 09:52:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

> Please help me with this little problem I have, as it is
> bothring be a lot.
>
> I have writte an ext script which logs into a FTP server does a dir
> command and then excits. All FTP commands are specified in a
> input file
> and the output is saved in a temp file used for the status message to
> Hobbit.
>
> Henrik kindly advised me to use a bbhostgrep to search the FTP server
> details from the bb-hosts file and this works as expected. In
> order to
> speed up the testing I have created a "subscript" which I
> call with som
> paramaters from the "master script" and this way have some
> parrallel run
> of the test. Its like this:
>
> $BBHOME/ext/ftp-test.sh $HOST $USER $PASSWD &
>
> This also works fine.
>
> The problem starts when a FTP connection fails or is slow. Then my
> subscript is not terminated and the master script hangs. This in turn
> leads to purple alarms for all hosts. I have tried to implement in my
> master script a check using ps for a previously running subscribt for
> the individual hosts, but this is not work as expected.
>
> So my question is how can I have my "sub script" really fork from the
> master script ? I do not need it to return to the master
> script because
> the subscript sends the status to Hobbit.
Just a suggestion :
You can write your sub script with perl and use Net::FTP module.
This module includes a timeout option for ftp.
If the connection is to slow or fails, the perl script can generate
a specific message, and you'll send a red message to hobbit.
I don't know if there is a timeout option to the standard ftp command.

Nicolas Figaro