[hobbit] hobbitd status-board not available

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Oct 8 20:35:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 04:08:57PM -0600, David Gore wrote:
> What does this message mean.  Typically we get this when disabling
> multiple hosts.  Is it a host resource issue, something isn't replying
> quick enough?  We are on the snapshot from 03 October.  This has been
> happening over many weeks and different snapshots.  OS is solaris 9.

It really points to a bug in the hobbitd daemon - it means that some
task (usually bbdisplay) couldn't fetch the status information from
the Hobbit server, which it uses to build the webpages.

I'm somewhat alarmed if you have this problem with such a recent
snapshot. I know there was a bug in 4.1.1 (and earlier) that could
trigger this when disabling or renaming hosts, but that should not
happen with the snapshot from 03 Oct.

> I am pretty sure these happen as people disable hosts and it fails
> although bb2.html shows them going to blue in the history, they will not
> show up on the enable/disable screen and usually show as failed when
> executing the disable.

Interesting. I'll go over that particular piece of code again to
see if I can come up with an explanation. If you have a way of
triggering this, let me know - in that case, I'd like you to try out
some things to make it sure it is fixed.