[hobbit] VAX Client

Deiss, Mark Mark.Deiss at acs-inc.com
Thu Oct 6 15:20:27 CEST 2005

There are around three(?) VMS BB clients on deadcat of various vintages -
don't know if they are built for Alphas and/or VAXs - or the version of VMS.
You "may" get lucky and one of them "may" support VAX architecture. If you
find a usable VAX BB client, then that should take care of the transport
mechanism out of the VAX client; you will still need to hack on the VAX
tests to get the messages into a format that hobbit accepts (or hack on the
hobbit server side to handle the VAX messaging).

Assuming that there is no VAX C license/compiler - may need to drill into HP
support concerning a GNU C port for VAX. There were (still past tense?)
issues trying to compile GNU products using the VAX C libraries.

If none of the above are practical, maybe you can get a fairly recent
version of perl ~5.003+ onto the VAX. For this, you may be able to use the
Big Sister perl-based client to handle transport out of the VAX. Mr. Aeby's
BS code can get pretty wild - you may have to resort to grabbing an older BS
release if there is too much strain using the current BS offerings with
possibly dated perl release on your VAX.