Getting doubled alerts

Brehm, Scott sbrehm at titan.com
Thu Oct 6 00:27:07 CEST 2005

Is it normal to get two alert messages if an event matches two rules? Is
there a keyword to suppress multiple alert emails from the same event?
I've been running 4.0 for a while, but just getting in to configuring
alerts. My hobbit-alerts.cfg includes the following:

HOST=* SERVICE=conn
        MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red

HOST=%atscm
        MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red
        MAIL person2 at titan.com COLOR=red

HOST=%atscs
        MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red
        MAIL person3 at titan.com COLOR=red

I want alerts for any connection problems, but only want alerts for
other hosts if they come from two specific sets of hosts. Unfortunately
I'm getting a match for both the first rule and the second or third rule
when there is conn alert for one of the two. I'm now using
EXSERVICE=conn for myself on rules two and three, but still curious.

Scott Brehm

IT Manager
L3 Communications - Titan (ATS/ATAG)
3394 Carmel Mountain Rd, San Diego CA, 92121
858-720-4035