hobbitclient + msgs test sugesstion

Peter Welter peter.welter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:26:14 CET 2005

Hello Henrik + fellow hobbiters,

Since the msgs-check is not available yet in the Hobbit display, I
want to make a suggestion to have it enabled relatively easy. I think
of two methods:

-1- A client must have read access to the file, lets say
/var/adm/messages, but that has a major drawback: you can only monitor
one [predefined] file. Anyway, you can pass on the major BB
functionality. But any other logfiles, as (is/was) possible with
bb-msgtab is discarded.

-2- Your Hobbit server must _also_ be a central loghost. In this way,
all configuration remains on the Hobbit server (a GREAT welcome
Hobbit-feature). You, Henrik, can even define the format that you want
the central loghost being set up. Fi. seperate .info, .debug -> green,
.kern -> yellow, etc.

Each host can use up a history of one week message-files and serious
trouble can be set up/defined within, let's say,
/etc/hobbit-client-messages.cfg. Now it is even possible to have this
setup work for another logfile, let's say, /var/log/mail?

Perhaps (I am googling rigth now) this is useful:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/syslog-ng/ but I guess this paints the
picture.

Well, that's just my 2 cents.

Regards,