[hobbit] Hobbit client for Windows

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Nov 28 08:21:09 CET 2005

(Note: I changed the subject)

Hi Vernon,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 03:01:41PM +0800, Vernon Everett wrote:

> Hobbit client runs on Windoze. (Disclaimer applies - see below)
> :-)
>
> After a little bit of playing around, I managed to compile the client in
> Windows, and it works.

[snip story of porting the client to Windows with Cygwin]

> It's far from perfect but I think it's a good starting point, and there
> will hopefully be no need for multiple code versions for different
> platforms.

It's a neat hack, and it does give you the basic functionality. But:
There are some severe limitations to this approach. Cygwin's "ps" output
for instance only includes the processes that have been started from a
Cygwin prompt - not the system processes you'd probably want to check.
And monitoring Windows services is not possible, I believe.

> Right now it's doing its thing, and sending data back to the server (I
> think) but the server is not displaying any results other than conn.
> How can I check what's being received by the server, and what's being
> done with it?

It probably isn't doing anything with the data. The client data is
handled by the hobbitd_client module, which needs to learn how to
interpret data from this unknown OS called "windows". If you look at
the hobbitd/client/ directory in the Hobbit sources, you'll see there
are a bunch of files - one per OS - with code to handle the particular
report sent by each OS. Something must be added to deal with the
report from your Windows client.