DOWNTIME and IGNORE (was Re: [hobbit] Command-line scheduled disable)

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Sun Nov 27 00:50:41 CET 2005

Henrik,

Speaking of this, I'm using the DOWNTIME feature in bb-hosts to schedule
certain hosts to be in maint mode during certain times. One problem
though is there is no way to put a reason so that when people click on
it in the GUI they can see that it is a scheduled disable.  Also
DOWNTIME disabled the entire host, it would be nice to be able to
specify by service. What would be really cool would be:

DOWNTIME=service:day:startime:endtime:reason

Then you could have a host with for example:

somehost.com 1.2.3.4 # ssh cpu disk msgs
DOWNTIME=http,msgs:*:0600:0800:"Scheduled Apache Maintenance"

Currently we can "sort of" get this functionality with the IGNORE
option, but when using IGNORE although alerts are not sent out, the
host/service still turns red on the display which might worry someone
looking at it (Maybe IGNORE should be called NOALERT)

Just some ideas :-)

-Charles