[hobbit] Email alert based on specific process

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 11 23:27:46 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 04:22:32PM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> I am using bb-proctab to monitor a list of processes and if any process
> a whole group get alert. Is there a way I can setup the alert with
> process specific. So if proc 1 out the list dies only user 1 get alert
> and so on.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Alerts in both BB and Hobbit trigger on a status column.
So you can define an alert that triggers when the "procs" column goes
red, but you cannot define alerts that distinguish between the different
processes that cause the procs column to go red.

I've been thinking about implementing some way of doing this with the
Hobbit client - it would be useful not only for the process-checks, but
also for disk-checks and (once that gets implemented) for the logfile
checks. My idea is that you can associate some random "label" with
the rules you define in the hobbit-clients.cfg file. E.g. if you have
two process checks for a host, the check for the "httpd" process can
be associated with a "web" label, and the check for the "mysqld"
process gets a "database" label. Then you can define alerts that use
these labels just like we currently use e.g. the service names, i.e.

   HOST=*
       MAIL dbadmin at foo.com LABEL=database
       MAIL webadmin at foo.com LABEL=web