[hobbit] Problem with badhttp

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Sun Nov 6 23:14:25 CET 2005

Paul Bliss wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>  I've got an ongoing issue that I just can't seem to get around where
> hobbit is reporting http timeouts on what I know to be healthy webservers.
>
> I've tried using badhttp in the bb_hosts file like so:
> 192.168.1.219   server.example.net              # smtp ftp
> http://home.example.net badhttp:3:4:10
>
> I though this would clear up my problem as it should tern clear after
> 3 failures, yellow after 4 and red only after 10, but in practice, it
> still is skipping all stages and going right to red on I assume the
> first test. The "red" condition usually lasts only between 9 and 50
> seconds, so it's very difficult for me to note machine state of the
> server and monitor system while it's happening.
>

>  SO if anyone has a direction to point me in towards either getting
> badhttp to behave as I expect it or to get http monitoring to work out
> this intermittent error, you would be a hero to me.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Bliss
> Network and Systems Administrator
> TechValley Communications
> pbliss at techvalleycom.com

Just thought I would also like to say that occasionally we are getting
the same thing but when it happens ALL our hosts go red not just a few.
The all hit the default 10 sec timeout. Strange thing is we have a
number of hosts also ssl enabled and those tests never seem to go red.

Hopefully theres some kind of issue here with hobbit (even though I hope
theres not) but I'd like it to get resolved. Getting woken up @ 3am with
your pager going off like its on crack is not friendly heh

Allan