[hobbit] segmentation fault on startup

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 4 10:21:54 CET 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 06:33:59PM -0500, Bob Ababurko wrote:
> I have just installed the hobbit server 4.1.2 on openbsd 3.8-sparc64.  I
> used gmake to make everything and when I get everything installed and go
> to start the little devil, I get:
>
> /var/www/htdocs/hobbit $/var/www/htdocs/hobbit/server/bin/hobbit.sh start
> Segmentation fault

Very odd. It's been a very long time since I've heard any problems with
hobbitlaunch (which is the utility that starts first).

If you look inside the hobbit.sh script you'll find the command that
invokes hobbitlaunch - something like (wrapped for readability):

    /var/www/htdocs/hobbit/server/bin/hobbitlaunch
	--config=/var/www/htdocs/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg
	--env=/var/www/htdocs/hobbit/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg
	--log=/var/log/hobbit/hobbitlaunch.log
	--pidfile=/var/log/hobbit/hobbitlaunch.pid

What happens if you run that command by hand, while you're logged in as
the "hobbit" user ? Do the files refered to in the --config and --env
options really exist ? Is the logfile directory writable by the user
that runs Hobbit ?

(BTW, I'd really advise against having the entire Hobbit installation
inside your publicly-available Apache webroot. Much better to configure
your webserver to publicize only the Hobbit web-directory; there is a
sample Apache configuration in Hobbit's server/etc/ directory).