[hobbit] Using bbproxy to replicate the display

Whilding, Craig Craig_Whilding at mentor.com
Tue Nov 1 16:43:28 CET 2005

Thanks Henrik, ill give it a try.

Craig Whilding

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Stoerner [mailto:henrik at hswn.dk]
Sent: 01 November 2005 15:40
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Using bbproxy to replicate the display

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:15:48PM -0000, Whilding, Craig wrote:
> My company has a few sites that are currently using hobbit or big
> brother for monitoring. What we wish to do is forward all of this
> information to a central hobbit server so collate it for reports etc.
> This server would also be testing the networks site gateways etc.
After
> reading the "delay creation of web pages" posts I realise bbproxy is
the
> replacement to bbrelay I require but I was wondering how I should set
it
> up. Looking at the manual and hobbitlaunch.cfg it says I should
disable
> hobbitd. Will each sites monitoring work as normal if I set
--bbdisplay=
> localhost and also the other, central machine?

By default, hobbitd and bbproxy will conflict because they will both
attempt to listen to port 1984 to handle incoming messages.

But if you configure them properly, they can coexist. The setup you're
after sounds like you want bbproxy to receive all of the incoming
status messages and then forward them to a) a local hobbitd running
on the same host, and b) the central hobbitd server.

The easiest way to do that is to setup the local hobbitd's to listen on
only the loopback interface (127.0.0.1), and bbproxy to listen on the
public IP-address. Say your local server has IP 172.16.10.1 and the
central Hobbit server is 10.0.100.200, then you should use the options

  --listen=127.0.0.1

for hobbitd, and

  --listen=172.16.10.1 --bbdisplay=127.0.0.1,10.0.100.200

for bbproxy.

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk