BB-Central

Arnoud Post arnoud at koekiemonster.com
Mon May 30 17:53:57 CEST 2005

I've read a few threads in the archive about bb-central, but not everybody is
having luck getting it to work.
We currently use bb-central for over 100 hosts, this poses some difficulties.
When a connection failes during one of the ssh sessions, the whole bb-central
script hangs and everything turns purple. Another is the bb-central script can
take longer that 5 minutes  because it probes 1 host at a time, this causes
timeouts and purple displays. This pushes to make a good working replacement
for bb-central with the following ideas:

- small scripts so you can test serveral (say 5 or 10) hosts at a time
- possible timeouts so the following scripts won't wait on it.
- a bbcentral-hosts file from wich the scripts are generated (hostnames and
commands per host)
- should stay working after a Hobbit upgrade, so prefferably no editting the
startup files or other files.

Before I start on this I would like some ideas, comments and if possible some
people who would like to help because I'm not such a good shell-script-kiddy.

Grtz,
Arnoud Post
The Netherlands