[hobbit] hobbit documentation and packaging projects

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Thu May 26 05:52:44 CEST 2005

\
>I really appreciate your willingness to undertake some work on Hobbit,
>especially with documentation which most programmers really try to
>avoid. I do write documentation, but I may be an exception - it's simply
>because when the documentation exists, I get more time to do the
>interesting stuff (code) since I don't have to spend so much time
>answering questions.

I don't like to answer question also so I would rather put my efforts
on documentation and packaging to do it right.

>But before you embark on this, ask yourself: What problem will I solve
>by doing this ? Setting up a Wiki is fine - but only if it gets used.
>For that to happen, there must be stuff there that people want to read.
>So what's missing today - is it the "beginners guide to monitoring your
>network" ? Or a "How to monitor your datacenter and survive" guide ?
>Or maybe a "Building graphs for your Boss" description?
>
>I guess, what I'm trying to say is that you should narrow your focus
>- at least to begin with. Then, when you have something going, you can
>broaden the scope.

I hope you are not disappointed about this
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Hobbit

Looks like I am using  top-down approach on this document to cover the big
area of this subject. In the hope that other can work on the area
documentation of
they are interested in.

Can you comment on the 4.0.4 road map here, since you are the real code
developer.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sytem_Monitoring_with_Hobbit/Developer_Guide#Development_Road_Map

I printed out most of your *.c *.h and Makefiles today. I had a brief look
to gain some understanding.

I also try to compile hobbitclient-0.3.tgz on linux and solars, but looks
like the Makefile generated by ./configure is messed up at this line. Looks
like 0.3 really reflect hobbitclient's age. But it is also
good that I can participate hobbitclient at its early age.

Problem in Makefile of hobbitclient-0.3
<snip>
hobbitc:        hobbitc.o conf_load.o conf_parse.o report.o osdep.o
        $(CC) -o $@ $(LIBS) $>
<snip>

Error logs
# gmake
cc -o hobbitc
cc: no input files
gmake: *** [hobbitc] Error 1
# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
#