[hobbit] Feature suggestion?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri May 20 14:52:02 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 09:29 +0200, Gee Pee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've heard from a Nagios(?)-feature that I would like to see in (a
> future) Hobbit release very much, alerting based on dependies.
[...]

> Will this be possible some day?

man bb-hosts
[...]
   depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2),(testB:host3/test3),[...]
   This tag allows you to define dependencies betweeen tests.   If
"testA" for the current host depends on "test1" for host "host1" and
test "test2" for "host2", this can be defined with
depends=(testA:host1/test1,host2/test2)

    When  deciding  the  color  to  report  for  testA,  if   either
host1/test1  failed  or  host2/test2 failed, if testA has failed also
then the color of testA will be "clear" instead of  red  or yellow.

    Since  all  tests  are  actually run before the dependencies are
evaluated, you can use any host/test in the dependency - regard-less  of
the  actual sequence that the hosts are listed, or the tests run. It is
also valid to use tests from the same host that the dependency is for.
E.g.

      1.2.3.4  foo # http://foo/ webmin depends=(webmin:foo/http)

is  valid; if both the http and the webmin tests fail, then webmin will
be reported as clear.

    Note: The "depends" tag is evaluated on the BBNET  server  while
running  the network tests. It can therefore only refer to other network
tests that are handled by the same BBNET server -  there is  currently
no  way to use the e.g. the status of locally run tests (disk, cpu,
msgs)  or  network  tests  from  other  BBNET servers  in  a  dependency
definition.  Such  dependencies  are silently ignored.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com