[hobbit] some larrd issues on hobbit 4.0.3 rc1

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 2 16:57:07 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 09:36:49AM -0500, Kauffman, Tom wrote:
> Well, I see what is going on, and I don't want to try to explain it --
>
> The vmstat rrd for all my AIX systems has the data elements defined in
> alpha sequence: cpu_b, cpu_csw, cpu_idl, cpu_int, cpu_r, cpu_syc,
> cpu_sys, cpu_usr, cpu_wait, mem_avm, mem_cy, mem_fr, mem_free, mem_pi,
> mem_po, mem_re, and mem_sr.
>
> Hmm. Seems that the vmstat rrds for my two SuSE linux boxes are also in
> alpha sequence. I'm not real strong in perl, but I suspect this is the
> culprit: foreach $col ( sort keys %{$htovm{$bbhosttype}}) {
>                 push @ds,"DS:$col:GAUGE:600:0:U";

Perl is definitely not my strong side either - one more reason why I
abaondoned the LARRD perl-scripts.

I looked at the one remaining BB server I have, and it seems you're
right - LARRD really does sort the datasets alphabetically by name when
it sets up the vmstat RRD file. It seems it does this only for the
vmstat data.

> Short term, I'm going to change do_vmstat.c, while I research writing
> some code to re-work the rrd xml (too many changes and too many rrds to
> try it by hand).

If you do come up with a tool for this, I would appreciate it if I may
distribute it with Hobbit.

> The disk patch is much appreciated; our primary R3 DB server should drop
> from 31 disk graphs down to three just by excluding '/oracle/PRD/sapdata*'.

Dont forget that this is a regexp - I think you meant '/oracle/PRD/sapdata.*'
with a dot before the asterisk.