[hobbit] hobbit-central?

Tim Rotunda trotunda at opushealthcare.com
Tue Mar 29 23:27:19 CEST 2005

Well, I guess that would be me.

I started to port BB-Central, but with my limited knowledge of BB and
Perl, I decided that writing Hobbit-Central was a better and faster
solution.

I am scripting it to begin with and will probably finalize it in C.  I
currently have HC querying the local HP-UX Hobbit server, 3 remote HP-UX
hosts and  2 remote Linux hosts.  I am using SSH and shared public keys
so it isn't exactly bullet proof as far as security goes.  It isn't
particularly speedy either.  There are some things that could be done to
speed things up because if it took 8 seconds to collect from one host,
that would be too long for an update to refresh.  The solution would be
to have a multithreaded application that would query more than one hosts
at a time.  I guess a possible alternative would be to launch several
different HC instances each with their own config files.  Thinking out
loud there.

Anyway, I am still pretty early in this but what you would need for to
use this is ssh between all hosts using RSA public keys.  Let me know if
you have more questions.
Tim