About guidelines for posting, disclaimers and such

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Mar 22 08:01:54 CET 2005

Everyone: Please calm down, if you haven't done so already.

I've been administering public mailing lists long enough to know that
fighting "bad" posting manners is most often an excercise in futility
(you can choose whatever "bad" means here).

Disclaimers are annoying, but I know that some people just cannot
avoid them because if silly policies in their company - I too work for
one of those large US-based corporations that require this on all
outgoing e-mails. I have the option of using my personal mail system
instead, but not everyone does.

And frankly, using a Hotmail or some other public account for stuff
you do at work is just annoying - I'd never do it myself.

As for top- or bottom-quoting, each has his preference. I prefer
people to quote *intelligently* - ie. quote just enough of the
original message at the beginning of the e-mail to make the reader
remember what this is about before adding your own comments.

But in the end, I care about *what* people write, not *how* they do
it. If you have a question about Hobbit, you're allowed to ask it
here.

(Of course, no-one is obliged to actually *answer* questions, so when
you post it is a good idea to be civilized, or you'll just end up
being ignored).