Excluding Hosts from Paging at certain times

ZanDAhaR allan at zandahar.net
Fri Mar 11 01:35:40 CET 2005

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right place to be sending this as I've only just
subscribed and the emails dont quite say exactly where to email but here
goes.

We have just upgraded from bb after 5 years or so to hobbit and we're not
looking back. We have some servers that have to be rebooted on a daily basis
due to some of the poorly written software (not by us) that runs on them. I
have tred using the DOWNTIME= option on the BB hosts but it only seems to
ignore the net tests like http, conn etc. The server still has the bb client
installed on it so when the server comes back up the bb client starts before
some of the monitored services start and therefore marks them red and we get
paged on them.

Given our worldwide customer base we still want to know about the issues
24x7 except for the 10 mins or so when it reboots. BB used to have the
option of putting in something like !host:time:email and it wouldnt page at
that particular time for that hosts. Just wondering if someone can suggest
the best way to work around this.

We have one alert that goes out via email and then to sortof a mailing list,
and then another line that does email-to-pager. I was thinking something
along the lines of what I have below although I am not sure about the TIME
statement if you can have comma separated values, ,if you can pass midnight
such as TIME=*:0910:0900

There is only 4 hosts currently that reboot, one at midnight, two at 9am,
one at 8:30am

If someone could possible give me a hand it and point me in the right
direction it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Allan

#extract of hobbit-alerts.cfg

$NPSERV=cpu,disk,msgs

HOST=host1.domain.com
    MAIL emailalret at domain.com COLOR=red,purple REPEAT=15 RECOVERED
TIME=*:0010:0000
    MAIL email at pageraddress.com COLOR=red,purple REPEAT=15 FORMAT=SMS
EXSERVICE=$NPSERV TIME=*:0010:0000 STOP

HOST=host2.domain.com
    MAIL emailalret at domain.com COLOR=red,purple REPEAT=15 RECOVERED
TIME=*:0000:0900,*:0910:0000
    MAIL email at pageraddress.com COLOR=red,purple REPEAT=15 FORMAT=SMS
EXSERVICE=$NPSERV TIME=*:0000:0900,*:0910:0000 STOP

HOST=*
    MAIL emailalret at domain.com REPEAT=15 COLOR=red,purple RECOVERED
    MAIL email at pageraddress.com FORMAT=SMS REPEAT=15 COLOR=red,purple
EXSERVICE=$NPSERV