[hobbit] unexpected green mails

Robin Wood discardable1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 00:59:22 CET 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:15:41 +0100, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:19:38PM +0000, Robin Wood wrote:
> > I've just put rc4 on so I'll see if anything does get fixed
>
> Do pickup the post-RC4 patch, it has the final fix for the green
> mails. http://www.hswn.dk/beta/post-RC4.patch
>
> > two questions though, first why would things stop reporting?
>
> Most common cause: The server was rebooted, and the client was not
> setup to restart automatically after a boot.
None of the boxes get rebooted, they are all live servers running
24/7, two with ISPs and one my own which I know the uptime of.

> > I'm monitoring 3 different boxes, one local, 2 remote on different
> > hosts, what constitutes "stopping reporting"?
>
> A status in Hobbit (and BB) has a lifetime - default is 30 minutes.
> Normally a status is refreshed every 5 minutes, so it stays "alive".
> If Hobbit sees that a status has not been updated for so long that its
> lifetime has been exceeded, it goes into the "stopped reporting"
> (purple) state.

I've never seen anything actually go purple when the mails were sent
out but I don't watch it all the time so it could have done.

> > The other is why are some of my green entries smilies and others
> >  diamonds?
>
> Smilies mean the color has changed within the past 24 hours.

ok sounds reasonable that if it sends out the mails then it is because
it thinks the status has changed.

I was going to report that RC4 had fixed it as I'd had no mails but
then I got this:

 - Program crashed

Fatal signal caught!

on the hobbit-alert monitor so I guess that may be why I hadn't got any.

I'll put the other patch on and see what happens.

Robin