[hobbit] unknown host question

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Jul 31 10:04:11 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:19:54PM +0200, Olivier Beau wrote:
> when i comment an entry in my bb-hosts file,
> the host disappears from the display, which is normal.
>
> i haven't done a "drop hostname" yet,
> and , i don't see any "unknown host" in my log files..

Hobbit does notice when you remove hosts from bb-hosts, and
will automatically forget about hosts that disappear from
bb-hosts. The "drop" command is only to clean up the files
stored on disk (history logs and RRD files).

> this brings me to the question : if someone deletes hosts in the bb-hosts file,
> how do i know which hosts to "drop" ?

I think it should be the other way around: When someone
deletes hosts from your bb-hosts file, they should know to
do a "drop" command also.

It doesn't do much harm if you don't do the "drop" command.
Hobbit will simply ignore hosts that are not in the bb-hosts
file, so they only take up a bit of space.

If you must know what "orphan" hosts you have lying around,
compare the list of hostnames from your bb-hosts file with the
directory names in ~hobbit/data/histlogs/