Alert Escalation

Peter Murray PBMURRAY at syr.edu
Tue Jul 26 14:16:56 CEST 2005

I'm trying to set up an alert so that it goes to a specific user after
10 minutes.  If not acknowledged in 10 minutes, I want it to go to a
second user.  If he/she doesn't acknowledge it in another 10 minutes, I
want to alert the first user again, and repeat in this fashion until
it's acknowledged (or fixed).  So, "user 1" would get the alert after 10
minutes, 30 minutes, 50 minutes, etc. and "user 2" after 20 minutes, 40
minutes, 60 minutes, etc.  For testing, I have the alert defined like:

HOST=testhost.syr.edu RECOVERED
     MAIL user1 at syr.edu FORMAT=TEXT DURATION>10 REPEAT=20
     MAIL user2 at syr.edu FORMAT=SMS DURATION>20 REPEAT=20

What happens is the first alert (FORMAT=TEXT) goes out at 10 minutes,
nothing at 20 minutes, both at 30 miuntes, nothing at 40 minutes, both
at 50 minutes, and so on.  I obviously don't understand how REPEAT
works.

What's the proper way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Peter Murray
Computing and Media Services
Syracuse University