[hobbit] performance issue with multiple pagesets

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 20 17:06:54 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 04:54:56PM +0200, Olivier Beau wrote:
> i loaded hobbit 4.0.5RC1 on my standby server (which isn't as fast as my
> production bbgen3.5 server..)
>
> i'm having lots of iowait, (it isn't swapping),
> i suspect it's bbgen

It would be interesting to see the output from your "bbgen" column
if you run bbgen with the "--report" option.

I haven't seen bbgen do very much I/O. Sure, you're generating
8x2 MB of data per minute, but most disk today will easily deliver
10 mbit/sec throughput. And it's not random access, just sequential
writing of a single file.

I'd be more inclined to think it's your RRD file updates that are
responsible for the disk I/O you see. Try disabling the [rrddata]
and [rrdstatus] tasks in hobbitlaunch.cfg and see if the iowait drops.

> --> Is there a way to disable the generating of the bb.html page for pagesets ?

No.