[hobbit] Handling SNMP traps with Hobbit

FARRIOR, Andy Andy.Farrior at victoriacollege.edu
Mon Jul 18 14:27:05 CEST 2005

If two Normal traps arrive, only the last one will be seen.  If a WARNING or CRITICAL trap arrives followed by a Normal trap, you will still get an alert for the yellow/red trap but you'll see the green trap on the page; however, the yellow/red trap should be in the history.

I wanted to include MySQL logging with SNMPTT, but haven't had a chance to work with it.  I'd also want to have some link from the Hobbit status page to a SNMPTT web page so you could see all past alerts.

Instead of waiting or forcing a user to acknoledge a trap, I treat it like a regular alert.

Just wanted to keep it simple.

>Also you mention the "problem" with classification. This has rased som issues in my organisation, >because some server people did not agree on a specific alert levels (ie CRITICAL etc). Do you edit >this by hand ?

I edited these by hand.  We're fairly small, only two people receive network alerts, two receive server alerts; so, we didn't have any issues.

Thanks,
Andy