[hobbit] Current development plans

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jul 13 16:52:25 CEST 2005

A late reply for this, but better late than never ...

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 04:10:08PM +1000, Kevin Pye wrote:

> There appears to be a bug in bbproxy which should probably be fixed
> sometime. When a message is to be sent to several servers, and the
> transfer to one sender fails, then the transfer to the other servers
> isn't attempted. (The state machine jumps straight to the exit state
> rather than looping back to send the message to the next server.) I
> first noticed this in an older version of bbproxy, but a quick glance
> at the code suggests it might still be a problem.

I think you're right, the bbproxy code hasn't changed for quite some
time.

> Also in bbproxy, I'd like to see an option where the proxy reports can
> be sent to a different list of servers from where ordinary status
> reports are sent. In my case for example, I am using bbproxy mainly
> for load balancing on the server where bbd (not yet hobbitd) runs, so
> it only send messages to the local server. However I would like the
> reports sent to both our servers. I think I sent you some code back in
> January which attempted to do this, but it probably got lost in the
> ether somewhere. I could resurrect it if you like.

I believe I still have your patch lying around, but it caused some
problems for me as I recall. I'll see if I can get it working.

> Regarding the hobbit client, one of my main complaints against various
> other monitoring/management tools as that they run large complex
> processes as root with links deep into the OS. I wouldn't like to see
> the hobbit client go down that path.

Oh no, that way lies madness. Running big, incomprehensible programs as
root (sendmail, brrr....) is not on my list of things I want to do.
Most Hobbit stuff - server or client - runs just fine with ordinary
user privileges. Lets keep it that way.