[hobbit] vmstat graphing with CPU io wait

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Jan 25 15:46:30 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 08:27 -0500, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> Henrik Storner wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the explanation of larrd.  It helped a lot.
>
> > Where do you get the I/O wait information from ?
>
> On RHEL3 (procps-2.0.17-10), there is a value for it in column 14 of
> vmstat's output, labeled "wa" under "cpu", so I modified a section of
> larrd-0.43c's vmstat-larrd.pl so it'd recognize this value and use it
> when dealing with rhel3 systems.  I hacked my client's vmstat larrd bf

Actually, that is present in all kernel 2.6 versions, e.g. Mandrake 10.0
and 10.1.  I'd love to be able to capture that - I beat on bb-central
for quite a while trying to track it.

Tracking wait state is great for figuring out which boxes need more ram.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com