[hobbit] Alert Acknowledgment Codes

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Tue Jan 25 01:16:21 CET 2005

Daniel J McDonald wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 17:07 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
>

>>Would it be possible, when the status of something goes Red, to have the
>>code printed somewhere on the status page, so that one could use the
>>"Acknowledge alert" option and copy/paste it in, rather than having to
>>get the incident code from email/pager?  If we wanted to be really
>>spiffy the acknowledge alert could even have a dropdown/list of current
>>alerts so you wouldn't even have to type it :)
>>

>Then you wouldn't know that the person who was supposed to be notified
>really was...  Making them copy it off a pager is a cheap "2-factor"
>authentication....

I see what you mean.  In my case the alerts go to an email alias that
includes both the alert pager and an email list. So it can be any one of
a number of people who actually Ack the alert, and they always have to
copy and paste it from the email subject. They use the explanation/cause
field to indicate who acked ie. "Network cable came unplugged, plugged
back in -cjones".  I'm just trying to figure out a way to make the
Acking process more efficient.

-Charles