[hobbit] Debug mode

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Jan 17 15:37:43 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 01:22:34PM +0100, Wim De Houwer wrote:
> Well, in the old BB "purple delay" was how long bb would wait before
> declaring a service purple (by whatever reason, in this case not
> receiving any updates).  After some time all services  provided by an
> external process on hobbit go purple, and I'm quite sure that the
> externall process is still feeding hobbit messages but I'm trying to
> understand why it decides that something is wrong and changes the color
> to purple ...

OK, I see.

The tool that sends in a status report to BB or Hobbit also provides a
"lifetime" for the message. E.g. if the status message begins with
"status+60" then the status is valid for 60 minutes.

Hobbit obeys this and keeps the status valid for the time your tool
provides. If no time is given, the lifetime is default of 30 minutes
is used.

The only difference in the way Hobbit and BB handles purple statuses
is that in BB the switch to purple is done by the tool that updates
the webpages (the "mkbb.sh" script, or "bbgen" if you are using that).
In Hobbit this happens internally in the hobbit daemon.