[hobbit] SNMP Alerts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 18 15:45:32 CET 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 01:00:23AM +1100, Geoff Steer wrote:
> We're looking at upgrading our current BB installation and hopbbit looks
> like a winner.
> Out current alerting is done via SNMP to an external site that generates
> trouble tickets and SMS messages from the SNMP trap data.
>
> Are there any plans to have SNMP alerting as an option?

I don't have any immediate plans for this. It would probably not be
terribly difficult to come up with a script to send out an SNMP trap,
which Hobbit can run to do alerts - which is my main excuse for not
adding SNMP trap support to Hobbit right now.

Sometime later this year, I'll probably look into adding some SNMP
support to Hobbit, in the form of an SNMP module that can query
SNMP-enabled devices for status information, thereby integrating
support for SNMP devices into Hobbit. (SNMP has always been somewhat
of a kludge in BB, you have to craft some ad-hoc script to call
snmpget or snmpwalk, and parse the output in the script). When that
happens, it will probably be pretty simple to implement a native SNMP
alert mechanism in Hobbit.

But don't hold your breath ... right now, setting up an alert script
to send out SNMP traps is the way to get something going.