[hobbit] Ext tests/scripts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Feb 15 07:57:28 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:44:37AM +1100, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 00:09 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > Just add the needed ones to hobbitserver.cfg - it might be as simple
> > as
> >
> >   SED=sed
> >   GREP=grep
> >   AWK=awk
> >   CAT=cat
> >   TR=tr
> >
> > to make them work and just use whatever is in the PATH.
>
> Are these defined once for all ext scripts, or once for each ext script?
> Can they be sourced (. /foo.bar)?

Hobbit has a "master program" called "hobbitlaunch" which takes care
of running the various tasks at scheduled intervals. It also sets up
all of the environment variables defined in the configuration file
hobbitserver.cfg - bbgen (which is part of Hobbit) still uses quite a
few. So if we decide to add these command variables to the setup, then
the scripts can generally assume that they are defined.

I did actually try running the standard BB client from hobbitlaunch,
i.e. without any of the setup that is normally done by bbdef.sh and
friends. There were about 75 variables that had to be defined.

> Mostly, as you said, this will affect the clients more.... so, for now,
> I will just keep quiet.

Please don't, I do appreciate your input. I have my own ideas about
how to use Hobbit, but there's an immense body of experience in the BB
community that Hobbit can benefit from. If this project is going to
succeed, then I need all of the bright ideas I can get - so the
feedback here is essential.