[hobbit] Ext tests/scripts

Adam Goryachev adam at websitemanagers.com.au
Mon Feb 14 23:32:02 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 22:59 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 04:15:00PM -0500, Kevin.Hanrahan at novainfo.com wrote:
> > We have several custom tests we use from our BB server to check
> > applications. In BB it was possible to add these into the /ext directory and
> > then call them from /etc/bb-bbexttab. Is there a provision for this type of
> > thing in Hobbit?
>
> Set them up as tasks in hobbitlaunch.cfg .
>
> NB: The environment variables provided by Hobbit to a script is not
> quite the same as that which BB provides. Some BB extensions use
> environment variables for some commands, e.g $GREP instead of grep.
> Hobbit does not set this up by default, so you should check what
> your scripts expect, and if necessary add the extra environment
> variables to hobbitserver.cfg (or change the script).

Just wondering if there is a reason for this?

Personally, whenever writing ext scripts, I always made an effort to
call all the various utilities like sed/grep/etc as ${SED}/${GREP}/etc.
This, I figured saved everyone from editing the ext script for each
platform they needed to run it on (assuming it is either being shared on
deadcat, or else being used across multiple OS's.... Even different
releases of linux use different paths.

It would seem a shame to need to make all these scripts *more*
specific...

PS, I haven't yet had a chance to install hobbit, so perhaps I am
missing something really obvious... It sounds great, and once it is
released, I'm sure I will install and use it.

Regards,
Adam

Adam Goryachev
Website Managers