[hobbit] Availability Reports

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Feb 6 12:18:19 CET 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:14:14AM -0500, Christopher T. Beers wrote:
> Any way the availability reports can be extended to 5 digits so my manager
> can see five nines they read about in the tech mags?

It doesn't really make much sense, given the test frequency of Hobbit
or BB.

Most Hobbbit tests run every 300 seconds. 300 seconds is 0.012 percent
of a month. So the data simply is not detailed enough to warrant
reporting with more than two digits.

For reports covering shorter periods of time, it becomes worse. With a
300 second poll interval, you need to do reports for a full year
before it makes sense to show percentages with 3 decimals. (0.001% of
365 days is 315 seconds - so you can only have one outage on your
99.999% SLA before you're in violation of the SLA).

OK, you said your manager asked for it, so being sensible is not a
requirement, I suppose :-) In that case, change all occurrences of
"%.2f" in bbdisplay/bb-replog.c and bbdisplay/pagegen.c to "%.3f".
But that is one change you'll have to do on your own.