[hobbit] dhcp clients conn test

FIGARO Nicolas nfigaro at effigie.fr
Fri Dec 16 13:32:41 CET 2005

Hi,

	 - ----Message d'origine-----
	De : Whilding, Craig [mailto:Craig_Whilding at mentor.com]
	Envoyé : vendredi 16 décembre 2005 13:22
	À : hobbit at hswn.dk
	Objet : [hobbit] dhcp clients conn test

	Hi,

	I have a couple of hosts that use dhcp that I want to test through their windows hostname.

	The hobbit server has samba setup so that fping -Ae [hostname] correctly resolves these windows names.

	If I add them to hobbit using

	0.0.0.0    [hostname] #

	(which I understand is correct for a dhcp address?)

	It's correct only if the dhcp sets automatically the DNS entry for your hostname. hobbit check the name with a DNS resolution.

	It gives me bbtest-net: Cannot resolve ip for host [hostname] in the logs and the page in hobbit states DNS lookup failed and says 0.0.0.0 up for Xms. How does hobbit do the conn test in this situation and is fping failing to work correctly from inside hobbit?

	can you set your dhcp server to add automatically your hostname in the DNS ?

	could you also try an "nslookup hostname" from your hobbit server ?

	I'm running 4.1.2p1.

	Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

	Thanks for any help,

	Craig Whilding

	NF