hobbit_rrd stops working after about 1 hour

Naeem.Maqsud at sybase.com Naeem.Maqsud at sybase.com
Fri Aug 19 02:02:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm testing out hobbit 4.1.1 for possible migration from big brother (with
bbgen). I suspected scalability issues with BB as my rrd graphs were
updated intermittently. However, hobbit is exhibiting similar problems.
After about 1 hr of restarting hobbit, the rrd graphs stop updating except
for the cpu utilization for the hobbit server itself.

The hobbit server is running RedHat Linux AS 3.0. It has 2 x 2.4 GHz Xeon
processors and 1GB of memory. About 800 servers are sending updates to the
hobbit server. Another 1200 servers are getting remote tests.

Load average has stayed below 1 most of the time. CPU usage has been low
with 75% idle. 4 CPUs show up due to hyperthreading and I've noticed that
after the restart of hobbit server, hobbitd_rrd process stays on CPU3 with
100% utilization for the one hour that it is busy.

I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Naeem