[hobbit] Question about dns test

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Apr 17 17:04:57 CEST 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 09:28:22AM -0500, Lowery, Michael wrote:

> I guess I don't understand the test.  I was hoping that for any host, I
> could perform a lookup of its own A record on the dns servers of my
> choosing (or at least use the dns servers from resolv.conf).  The host
> where I've placed the DNS test is not a DNS server, but I would like to
> verify that it's "A" record does exist.

OK, that's a different kind of test. The "dns" test is designed to
verify that a DNS server is running on the host that has this test
defined.

> The reason I want this is that we have some customers that from
> time-to-time will fail to renew their domain-name, or make a DNS
> change and either change the IP address for a host or drop the
> hostname all together.
>
> I would like to use this test, or another, to gather the DNS
> information for the A record of a particular host so that I can
> verify or deny that this is a problem.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do, especially if you're hosting for
people without controlling their DNS setup.

I'll see if I can work that into a future version. We've got all of
the bits and pieces needed to implement it, I just have to put them
all together.